Check Off Costly Grain Insects With this Empty Bin Treatment Checklist
Treating post-harvest grains is important, and knowing how to properly treat empty grain bins can help prevent infestations of grain insects. To aid in insect control, follow the Bug Free Grains pre-bin checklist:
Empty Grain Bins
Out with the old, in with the new. This step may seem like a no brainer, but make sure to completely empty your grain bins to ensure a fresh start free from grain bugs, keeping you protected from common pests including rice weevils.
Deep Clean Grain Bins
Your bins are completely empty, now what? Clean! Take this opportunity to deep clean grain bins following the guidelines of the first, and most important step in an integrated pest management approach, sanitation. For a complete deep clean, ask yourself the following questions:
- Could someone tell what kind of commodity was stored here last? If you can still see grain dust or any visible sign of old product, it isn’t clean enough! Grain insects and their eggs from leftover grain can lead to new infestations, jeopardizing the value of your post-harvest grains. Don’t forget to clean grain handling equipment too, including all transportation vehicles.
- Have you made all necessary repairs? Make sure to patch and seal any cracks, crevices and holes in your facility, as these are typically how grain insects get into storage. Remember to check the spaces where grain can accumulate including false doors and augers.
- How’s the outside of the grain bin? Now that your empty grain bins are spotless, it’s time to head outside. To help ward off unwanted grain insects from storage, clear the area up to 10 feet around empty bins, clearing weeds and old grains, as those can attract grain insects like rice weevils, Indian meal moths and more.
Treat Empty Bins for Stored Grain Pests
Once all of your repairs are made, bins are cleaned and the outside has been tended to, it’s time to spray your empty bins with a pre-bin treatment. We recommend using a start-to-finish insect control solution like Diacon® IGR PLUS. A formulation with an adulticide and an insect growth regulator (IGR), Diacon® IGR PLUS kills insects in the grain and prevents future generations from emerging.
Apply the solution to equipment, bin walls, floor surfaces and even directly on grain for complete control. For even more power, Diacon® IGR PLUS may be tank mixed with other products, such as PBO-8® Synergist. When getting ready to treat grain bins, keep the 1-1-1 rule in mind:
- 1 fl. oz. Diacon® IGR PLUS
- 1 gallon of water
- 1,000 square feet per treatment
- See label for directions for use
Maintaining a strong sanitation program along with using grain protectant products can help control post-harvest insect damage, from start to finish. For more information on implementing a pre-bin treatment strategy including Diacon® IGR PLUS, check out this helpful resource.
Diacon is a registered trademark of Wellmark International.
Stay up to date with the latest information and tips on how to keep bugs off your grain.